Just in case you spent the weekend doing anything else besides making food for the week ahead (e.g., enjoying the outdoors, sleeping in, tackling chores, or having fun with friends and family), I have a recipe you can whip up asap. It will generate a small mountain of grab-and-go snacks for the busy days ahead.
It has 4 ingredients and is so easy, you can memorize it the first time you make it.
It’s my healthy Banana, Flax and Almond Flour Mini Muffins.
The sweet and tender bites of banana goodness are:
They taste like cake, too.
To make them, gather up some overripe bananas, almond flour, flaxseed meal, and baking powder (optional salt, too).
You will need a full cup of mashed, very ripe banana for the recipe. It will take about 2 to 3 large bananas to create this amount. It is important to measure the mashed banana rather than go by total number of whole bananas since sizes can vary tremendously.
Once the banana is mashed and measured, transfer it to a medium bowl and stir in the flaxseed meal. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes (time for the flax to gel) and then mix in the almond flour, baking powder, and optional salt until blended.
All kinds of additional flavorings can be added to the batter, such as vanilla, almond extract, citrus zest or spices. They are not necessary, though; the basic version is packed with plenty of flavor!
Use a small cookie scoop of tablespoon to divide the batter between 22 cups (greased or sprayed) of a mini muffin pan.
Stick with a mini muffin pan. Without the structure of eggs or gluten, this batter does not fare well in large pans (rise and fall). This includes standard size muffin cups and loaf pans. Also, the longer baking time required from bigger muffins and loaves leads to scorching.
Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 14 to 16 minutes until risen and tops appear dry and light golden brown. Without added sugar, these muffins will not turn a deep golden brown like traditional muffins; they will only becoming darker brown at the outer edges.
Let the muffins cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes before running a butter knife around the edges of each cup. Remove the muffins and cool completley on the cooling rack.
Next step: EAT!
Happy baking, everyone!Print
Fast, easy and healthy banana mini muffins, made with 4 ingredients! They are naturally vegan, grain-free, oil-free, gluten-free, Paleo, and have no added sugar. A perfect snack or breakfast option!
- 1 cup (250 mL) mashed, very ripe banana (between 2 and 3 large bananas)
- 2 tablespoons (13 g) flaxseed meal
- 1 and 1/2 cups (168 g) blanched almond flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175C). Grease or spray 24 cups of a mini muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the mashed banana and flaxseed meal. Let stand for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder, and optional salt, stirring until completely combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop or tablespoon, divide batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 14 to 16 minutes until risen, tops appear dry and muffins are light golden brown.
- Let muffins cool 5 minutes in pan set on a cooling rack. Run a butter knife around edges of cups to remove muffins. Cool completley on cooling rack.
Storage: Store in an airtight container at (cool) room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 1 week and the freezer for up to 6 months.
Flax Option: An equal amount of ground chia seeds can be used in place of the flaxseed meal.
- Category: Muffins, Bread
- Serving Size: 1 mini muffin
- Calories: 51
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 30.6 mg
- Fat: 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.9 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg