Many in my adopted state will consider this post heresy.
For I am proposing the addition of pureed broccoli to guacamole.
Here in Texas, guacamole comes close to being a food group unto itself, served on just about everything, with just about anything, for just about any meal (breakfast, brunch, lunch, snack, dinner), or just about any gathering.
Oil may fuel the state’s economy, but guacamole fuels its people.
I love the simplest guacamole–creamy avocados, fresh lime, and salt–for it’s taste and nutrition, but sometimes I need to embrace my Northern California roots and add something unexpected to the mix. In this case, it’s broccoli.
Fresh broccoli (or frozen will work, too) is pureed with half of the avocado, resulting in a light, fresh dip, perfect for accompanying a Tex-Mex salad lunch, slathering on your favorite sandwich or wrap, dolloping on a morning scramble, or scooping with your favorite chips or crackers.
The glorious benefits of avocado are still there, but with significantly fewer calories (and a healthy bonus from the broccoli), so make your portions generous!
- 1 cup coarsely chopped broccoli, steamed until very soft, cooled and chilled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4–5 dashed hot sauce (optional)
- 1 large Hass avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes (or other tomatoes)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a blender or in the bowl of a food processor, process the broccoli until smooth. Add the lime juice, garlic, cumin, and HALF of the avocado; process until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, coarsely mash the avocado with a fork Add the broccoli mixture, tomatoes, and cilantro, stirring to combine (be sure to keep the remaining avocado chunky!). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately, or press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface to prevent browning. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 58
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 69 mg
- Fat: 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.8 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg