- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal or ground chia seeds
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 and 1/3 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flaxseed meal and water. Let stand 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the oil, maple syrup, lemon zest, and vanilla to the flaxseed mixture; whisk until blended.
- Add the flax mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until completely combined. Add the almonds, if using.
- Scoop the dough onto the prepared sheet and shape into an even, rectangular log that is about 3 inches wide, 12-13 inches long and 3/4-inch high.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and set at the center. Place sheet pan on a cooling rack and let cool for at least 30 minutes (see notes for optimal cutting).
- Use parchment liner to lift log to a cutting boar. Cut crosswise into 3/4-inch wide slices. Return parchment to baking sheet and arrange slices, cut side up, on sheet pan. Return to oven and bake 10 minutes; turn over and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer until cut sides are golden. Turn off oven and cool completely in oven.
Storage: Store the completely cooled biscotti in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, the refrigerator for 2 weeks or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Use Real Eggs if Not Vegan: If you do not need the recipe to be vegan, use 2 large eggs in place of the vegan eggs in step 1.
Flavor Change-Up: Nix the vanilla and add any other flavors you like (e.g., almond extract, other citrus zests, etc.). and add up to 1/2 cup of your favorite mix-ins (e.g., mini chocolate chips, seeds, chopped nuts, etc).
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 biscotto
- Calories: 74
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 102 mg
- Fat: 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 2.0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: grain-free vegan biscotti, almond flour biscotti, coconut flour biscotti, grain-free, coconut flour, egg-free, dairy-free, vegan biscotti, grain-free vegan cookies