Healthfully decadent 100% flax chocolate cookies ! Made in a muffin tin with only 5 ingredients, they are vegan, grain-free, oil-free, paleo and keto (with an ingredient swap).
Flax Breakfast Cookies get a Double Chocolate Boost
When I did a re-shoot of my popular 100% flax breakfast cookies last week, I realized I had made a terrible mistake.
I never created a chocolate version.
Healthy Features of 100% Flax Chocolate Cookies
Like my original version, these double chocolate wonders are:
- Made with 5 ingredients
- Keto-friendly (with a simple ingredient swap)
How to Make Chocolate Flax Breakfast Cookies
The cookies are super-simple to make, too. Yay!
Begin by making the sticky portion of the recipe. Place 1/2 cup of the (smooth) nut or seed butter of your choice in a medium bowl along with 1/3 cup coconut sugar (use a keto-friendly sugar substitute for keto version), and 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
Next, Add 6 tablespoons of BOILING water. This will help soften the nut butter and blend the ingredients into a glossy, harmonious, fudgy base. You may want to stop right here, as this mixture is heavenly.
Next up, stir in 2/3 cup of flaxseed meal until completley blended. The mixture will be thick, but if it is too stiff to stir, add a few more teaspoons of water, just until stir-able.
Now you have a choice: stir 2 tablespoons of miniature chocolate chips directly into the dough, leave them out, or wait to sprinkle on top of the cookies.
Once your choice is made, divide the batter between 12 greased or sprayed muffin cups. If you chose option #3, sprinkle the cookie tops with the chips. Bake in a 325F oven for 17 to 19 minutes until the surface of the cookies appears dry and the centers feel just fir to the touch.
Behold the chocolate goodness:
With super-crispy edge, fudgy middles, and intense chocolate flavor throughout, these are 100% delectable on top of being 100% flax.
These make a healthy breakfast on the go, but are definitely dessert-worthy, too.
More Easy & Delicious Vegan Flax Baked Goods:
- Almond Flour Flax Biscuits
- 2-Ingredient Flax Sandwich Bread
- Oat Flax Skillet Bread
- 100% Flax Breakfast Cookies
- 4-Ingredient Vegan Flax Muffins
- 2-Ingredient Quinoa Flax Bread
- 2-Ingredient Lentil Flax Bread
- White Bean Flax Biscuits
Healthfully decadent, double chocolate, 100% flax breakfast cookies! Made in a muffin tin with only 5 ingredients, they are vegan, grain-free, oil-free, paleo and keto (with an ingredient swap).
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened natural nut butter (e.g., almond, cashew, peanut)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) coconut sugar (see notes for keto)
- 6 tablespoons (90 mL) boiling water
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (80 g) flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons miniature chocolate chips (see notes for keto)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease or spray the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a a medium bowl, combine the nut butter, coconut sugar, boiling water, cocoa powder and optional vanilla until blended and glossy.
- Stir in the flaxseed meal (the mixture should be thick, but if it is especially stiff, add a little bit more water).
- Either stir in chocolate chips, or wait, and sprinkle on top.
- Evenly divide batter into prepared muffin cups. If second option was chosen above, sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake in preheated oven for 17 to 19 minutes until the surface of the cookies appears dry and the centers feel just firm to the touch.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run knife around edges to loosen, then remove and place on rack to cool completely
Nut-Free Cookies For nut-free cookies, use an equal amount of creamy seed butter (e.g. sunflower butter or tahini) in place of the nut butter.
Storage Tip: Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature 2 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Keto Option: Use an equal amount of keto-friendly granular sweetener in place of the coconut sugar. Leave out the chocolate chips or replace with sugar free chocolate chips.
- Keto macros per cookie without chocolate chips: [Calories: 77 / fat: 6.2 g/ sat. fat: 0.6 g/ carbohydrates:4.6 g / sugars: 1 g]
- Keto macros per cookie with sugar-free chocolate chips: [Calories: 88 / fat: 6.9 g/ sat. fat: 1.1 g/ carbohydrates:6.1 g / sugars: 1 g]
Sweetener Options: An equal amount of brown sugar or plain sugar can be used in place of the coconut sugar.
- Category: breakfast cookie, snack
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 110
- Sugar: 7.7 g
- Sodium: 51.1 mg
- Fat: 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 11.6 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg