Sometimes you need chocolate in a hurry. For example, for an impromptu celebration. Or to revive your spirits . Or because it is Wednesday.
Umm, today is Wednesday.
I’m here to tell you that choclate any day is a wonderful thing. Chocolate and cocoa powder are rich in cell-protecting antioxidants–natural compounds found in fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts–minerals, and natural mood boosters like theobromine and phenylethylamine. And you thought it was all in your head.
The trick is to get all those great benefits without a truckload of sugar and fat. Yes, you can eat a square or two of dark chocolate, but you can also treat yourself to warm, rich, chocolate cake. That’s good for you. And takes a minute to make. And comes in under 200 calories.
Pinch yourself; you are not dreaming.
All that you need are flaxseed meal, cocoa powder, an egg, a drizzle of vanilla, a splash of milk, and a wee bit of sugar.
I prefer to use natural cocoa powder rather than Dutch process. Dutch process cocoa powder is treated with alkali to remove bitterness and give it a milder flavor. Unfortunately, it also strips the cocoa powder of it’s many antioxidants. Forget that. I prefer the flavor of natural cocoa powder anyway. which delivers a deep, true chocolate flavor. The packaging should state whether it is Dutch process or not, but you can also tell the difference by sight: if it is dark to almost black, it is Dutch process; natural cocoa powder is much lighter and is typically brownish red in color.
If you are willing, add a teaspoon or two of chocolate chips. You’re welcome.
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 5 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk or nondairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, whisk the flaxseed meal, cocoa powder, syrup, baking powder, and salt. Add the egg, milk and vanilla, mixing until well-blended.
- Spray a coffee mug or ramekin with nonstick cooking spray; spoon in batter.
- Microwave on regular HIGH setting in microwave for 35 to 40 seconds until just set at center. Serve warm or cool completely.
- Category: Dessert
- Serving Size: entire recipe
- Calories: 199
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 20
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 11 g