Vegan double chocolate oat cookies that taste like pure decadence, but are healthy and gluten-free! Make them in minutes with what you have on hand.
- 1 and 1/2 cups rolled oats (certified GF, as needed)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup smooth nut or seed butter (I used a natural peanut butter )
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal (or ground chia seeds)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, process the oats into a fine flour. Add the cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; pulse to combine.
- Place the coconut oil and nut butter in a large bowl; add the boiling water and stir until melted and smooth. Stir in the coconut sugar, flaxseed meal and vanilla until blended. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add the oat mixture to the nut butter mixture, stirring until combined into a dough. Stir in the chocolate.
- Divide dough into 16 equal portions (about 2 tablespoons each) and roll each portion into a ball. Place half of the balls on the prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly. Flatten each ball with the palm of your hand.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 11 to 12 minutes until just set barely at the centers. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough balls.
Storage: Store the cookies in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 1 day, the refrigerator for 5 days, or the freezer for up to 3 months.
Chocolate Options: 1/4 cup of miniature chocolate chips, or regular chocolate chips (chopped) can be used in place of the dark chocolate
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 101
- Sugar: 5.9 g
- Sodium: 97 mg
- Fat: 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.7 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 2.2 gg
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chocolate cookies, oat cookies, vegan, egg-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, oat flour, double chocolate, healthy cookies, oats