My healthy (but decadent) 5-ingredient vegan banana brownies are flourless, egg-free, dairy-free, grain-free, gluten-free, oil-free, and 100% perfection. Hooray!
- 1 cup (225 g) mashed very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) smooth nut or seed butter (e.g., peanut, cashew, almond, sunflower seed)
- 1/3 cup (28 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons (16 g) coconut sugar (see notes for options)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 to 3 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on opposite sides.
- In a medium-large bowl, combine the bananas, nut butter, cocoa powder, coconut sugar and baking soda until completley blended.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. If desired, sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the surface appears set and dry.
- Transfer pan to cooling rack and cool completely. Use the parchment paper to lift and remove brownies to a cutting board. Cut into 9 squares.
Frozen Bananas: Yes, frozen bananas can be used to make these. Defrost (do not drain any liquid). Mash up the bananas and liquid to measure 1 cup.
Salt: Most nut butters and seed butters contain salt, hence no need to add any. If you are using a salt-free product, add 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste), unless you want or need to limit the salt content.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 7.2 g
- Sodium: 115.4 mg
- Fat: 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.5 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: brownies, grain-free, flourless, healthy, vegan, egg-free, dairy-free, chocolate, frugal, gluten-free, oil-free