Tex-Mex black bean frittatas, made with chickpea flour instead of eggs! Vegan, grain-free, and high-protein, they are perfect for lunches and in lunches & high-protein snacking.
Vegan Frittatas with Tex-Mex Flavors
I am feeling a wee bit like Wile E. Coyote. Super genius.
I owe it all to black beans.
As well as frozen peppers and onions.
A Mini Meal or Snack for Anytime of Day
Eat them for breakfast. Pack them for lunch. Tuck one into your bike pouch or purse (been there, done both). Vanquish 4 pm I-could-eat-that-cardboard-box-I’m-so-crazy-hungry cravings. Re-fuel after a turbo run.
And then feel like a super-genius :).
Tips for Success
A few quick notes regarding these portable powerhouses:
- Frozen peppers and onions: I get it, some of you don’t want to use frozen vegetables. Ever. I use them here because they are handy and inexpensive. Plus, all I need to do is thaw them and chop them before adding to the batter. Some brands of frozen peppers and onions are chopped, in which case you will simply thaw and drain. The option at my local grocery store has slices instead. If you have fresh peppers and onions on hand, you’ll want to steam or sauté them for about 6 to 8 minutes, until softened, before adding them to the batter. Use what suits your needs!
- Baking: You want to bake the pucks until the centers are just set (no more liquid batter), but be careful not to overbake or you’ll end up with a weird, dry bean biscuit. Don’t fret if tops of the frittatas will look somewhat dry when they come out of the oven, especially the black beans. That’s exactly how they should look! Once cooled, they will no longer look dry.
- Removing from the pan: Wait until the pucks are completely cooled before removing from the pan or they may crack. They hold together beautiful once cooled (even when re-warmed), but when first out of the oven, they need some time to pull themselves together :). If you like, use foil or paper cups to line the pan; this will allow you to remove the pucks before they are completely cooled.
Enjoy, everyone! Let me know if you give these a try!
More Vegan & Grain-Free Chickpea Flour Egg Dishes:
- 3-Ingredient Chickpea Flour Frittata
- Sweet Potato Kale Chickpea Flour Frittata
- Chickpea Flour Tortilla Espanola Muffins
- Chickpea Flour Pasta Broccoli Frittatas (high protein)
- Chickpea Flour Vegetable Frittatas
- Vegan Hash Brown Omelet Muffins
- Vegan Quinoa Omelet Muffins