Almond flour vegetable nuggets made with 3 ingredients! These vegan vegetable nuggets are paleo, keto, oil-free, grain-free, and only 35 calories each!
If you happen to be a fan on my 3-ingredient almond flour cookies, I have a savory equivalent that I know you are going to love. It is equally simple, minimalist, healthy, and DELICIOUS.
It’s my 3-ingredient Vegetable Nuggets, made with Almond Flour!
Yes, these are indeed as yummy as they look! They are also:
- Keto (with simple swap)
- 35 calories each
- Baked (not fried)
If you are anywhere from 2 to 100 years old, you will want to eat these, guaranteed!
How to Make 3-Ingredient Vegetable Nuggets
The ingredients list for this recipe is as follows:
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped cauliflower or broccoli (or a combination of the two)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2/3 cup almond meal or almond flour
You’ll also want some salt and pepper, to taste, but these seasonings are variable/optional according to your needs.
Steam the vegetables for about 4 to 5 minutes until they are fork-tender, but not at all mushy. Mushy vegetables equal mushy nuggets, and no one (at least no one I know) wants a mushy nugget.
Place the vegetables in a small food processor or hand blender (like a bullet blender) and pulse until they are completely broken down into a coarse puree (not baby food).
Scoop the vegetables into a medium bowl and stir in the almond flour, as well as optional salt & pepper. It’s best to add the almond flour by hand; the vegetables will get over-processed if the almond flour is added to the food processor.
Scoop the dough into 14 equal portions using a small cookie scoop or a heaping tablespoon. Using your hands, flatten into a oval-ish, nugget shape.
How weird does “nugget shape” sound?! But there it is :). If you need more specificity, my nuggets were roughly 2 inches (5 cm) long, 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) across, and a generous 1/4 inch (.635 cm) high.
Bake in a preheated 400F (200C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown.
Remove the baking sheet and flip the nuggets (allowing the other side to brown, producing nuggets that look and taste fried).
Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes more, until the other sides are also golden brown.
Time to eat!!!
I love these nuggets plain, but have fun making them unique by adding other flavors to the mix prior to shaping and baking. For example, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian herbs, or some nutritional yeast (for added protein and cheese-y flavor).
Make Now, Bake Later
If you want the convenience of frozen nuggets, I have you covered.
Make the nuggets mixture and shape into nuggets as directed in the recipe. I like to double, triple or quadruple the recipe and freeze a lot. Freeze the nuggets in a single layer on a baking sheet and then transfer to an airtight container for up to 6 months of storage in the freezer.
Bake the nuggets anytime, as directed in the recipe (no need to defrost), allowing about 4 to 5 extra minutes of baking time. Whoohoo!
Happy eating, everyone!
More Easy, Plant-Based Meat Recipes to Try:Print
3-ingredient vegetable nuggets made with almond flour! Super-easy to make, they are vegan, paleo, keto, oil-free, grain-free, gluten-free and only 35 calories each!
- Preheat oven to 400F (200 C). Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the raw vegetables in a steamer basket set over boiling water. Steam the vegetables for about 4 to 5 minutes until softened and tender but not mushy.
- Transfer the vegetables to a small food processor and process until mixture resembles a thick puree. Scrape vegetables into a medium bowl. Stir in the almond flour and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt & dash of black pepper (or to taste).
- Using a small cookie scoop or heaping tablespoon, scoop the dough into 14 equal portions. Using hands, shape each portion into an oval “nugget” shape (about 2 inches long, 1/4-inch thick). Place on prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown. Remove the pan from oven; using a metal spatula, flip the nuggets.
- Return pan to oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes longer bottoms are golden brown. Serve warm.
Storage: Store the cooked, cooled nuggets in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Keto Option: Replace the carrot with an equal amount of red bell pepper.
Make Ahead: The nuggets mixture can be made ahead and shaped into nuggets. Freeze the nuggets in a single layer on a baking sheet and then transfer to an airtight container (store in the freezer for up to 6 months). Bake as directed (no need to defrost), allowing about 4 to 5 extra minutes of baking time.
Flavor Suggestions: Add the herbs and spices of your choosing, such as Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, or chili powder. For cheesey-flavor (and added protein) add several teaspoons of nutritional yeast.
- Category: Snack, Lunch
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 nugget
- Calories: 35
- Sugar: 0.6 g
- Sodium: 47.7 mg
- Fat: 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.1 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegetable nuggets, vegan, keto paleo, grain-free, 3 ingredients, almond flour, almond meal, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, snack, nuggets